Local Republicans (County) are having a fundraiser where they will invite Ted Nugent to speak. Jim will write a letter to the editor on the idiocy of this, but no other actions are planned. A caution from AJ regarding how many actions we are starting to pile up. We should pick our battles wisely and keep grounded on out particular goals, namely outreach.
Occupy Peoria shared information with us on a possible action for Feb. 29th. “ShutDownTheCorporations.org” Will be work grouped for an action on that date.
Discussion of trying to get together more with other Central Illinois Occupy Groups (BLONO, Peoria). And trying to travel to them to do so, as they have done this for us.
Previously we had approved the group trying to get a printer to do our own printing of materials. An offer from an anonymous patron has come in to purchase the printer as a loan, which OSI would pay back via donation and fundraising. Research on which printers look best will be done, and a plan will be presented to the group for final approval of purchase, but it was approved to move forward with this.
Collection was taken by members and given to our Treasurer, the take was $27.
Discussion about more direct outreach was had. Need to do more to reach the public, not just yell at legislators and “preach to the choir.” If the movement is not grown then what are we doing? Talked about having more literature and a pamphlet table at events that we do have. Making it more clear to the public that is in attendance what we are about and how to follow/join us. Should have possibly a sign-in sheet for our events for those who want to be on our mailing lists, etc. Should also attend events of other groups in the area and build relationships.
Discussion of remembering to use the forums for planning, etc. Facebook for promotion.
Discussed that stickers we are making should have our web address on them.
AJ talked about “Occupy The Midwest” conference that is coming in March. If anyone wants to do a presentation there they should let him know. G8 & NATO will be discussed there. Chris B. and JJ will be performing there.
Feb 3rd Nationwide protest against NDAA2012. Workgrouped to forum.
Rae can no longer head up volunteering for Breadline and is passing all contacts and information on to Rachael.
It was brought up that someone is going around time drawing anarchy symbols in chalk and writing things such as “F&%^ you” and “Arrest me.” This seems to be an obvious defamation attempt against our group which has been in the media for chalk and known to use it. It was decided that we would do nothing and that if it were brought up by the press, etc. we can truthfully say that we claim the chalking that we do, and we do not claim that chalk as it is not ours.
Advised that Drew talked to Jason Neville from the SJR and told him we are having action on the 17th and 20th, as well as information about our Teach-ins.
Talked about legal issues regarding the city ordinance violations for chalking on the sidewalk. Attorney Terrence Harders has offered to represent JJ and Drew pro bono. JJ has also been talking to the ACLU in Chicago.
Woo advised that a report has been sent to the City Council members regarding the chalking violations, as well as the police reports we obtained via FOIA request. We will ask the City Council for its position on this matter, now that they are fully informed, at the next public forum meeting. Should all go to next Tuesday’s City Council meeting. Should also go on Feb. 2nd to the hearing for JJ and Drew. Will start forum thread including all docs for legal defense, etc.
Topic discussed of AFSCME voting no on same-sex insurance coverage. Explained that this was only procedural due to the faulty accounting of the city’s actuary, and that once a corrected bill was introduced all were in favor.
Discussed finding a new meeting place on the grounds that AFSCME would be endorsing a political candidate, and that OSI does not support any one political candidate. Worried about the public image and/or perception issues of it. Group seems split on the idea, many feel it could be an issue, many think that a meeting place is a meeting place regardless. No decisions made, but did discuss that when we started using the facility it was decidedly temporary, and that could we find a meeting space that is accessible, etc. we could discuss moving then.
Rachael discussed her networking with other Occupy movements in Illinois. That several of us are active in Occupy Illinois and Occupy Midwest, as well as Inter-Occupy which is a national group.